Facts tell, whilst emotions continue to sell. Customers today are bombarded with more information than ever before, your copy needs to be exceptional to stand out. People scour the internet on platforms such as Instagram and Facebook, and relevant blogs for their content fix of the day.
Content is still king. Content creation is not simple, it has a few complexities to it. Clearly time must be spent in order to produce meaningful content, that ravenous readers want to consume.
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway
Sometimes effective copy can be the difference between having an effective advert that provides a return on your investment or one that simply wastes your advertising budget. Below is a list that you can follow in order to supercharge your marketing efforts.
- Before you start writing think and write down what the purpose the piece should serve.
- Understand where you are writing, each place that you publish will require a different tone and style of writing. For example, posting something on LinkedIn would require different copy to something being posted on Facebook for example. Immerse yourself in the content from the platform you are publishing on. The output of this will be noticeable in the final quality of your work.
- Know the audience, such as their gender, age group, ethnicity, income bracket, and general occupation if possible. The more data you know about them the better. It may be beneficial to put together a buyer persona to better understand your audience.
- Remember the 4C’s be Clear, Concise, Compelling and Credible to win over your readers. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
- Focus on the benefits for them, not yourself, using the word you is better than using the word I or we, as the reader is more likely to engage with the piece better, always write with the audience in mind.
- Intentionally leave enough white space in your articles so that it gives the reader a chance to breathe, and doesn’t intimidate the reader. Layout is important if you need help formatting check this article out here.
- Use literary devices in order to supercharge your writing, it makes your writing as clear as day.
- Say more with less! The delete key is your friend. Remember that good writing is crafted through the words that are removed and not just the words that you add. Edit and proofread your work to reduce the total redundant words in your copy.
- Near the end of your work, remember to add a call to action button. This gives the reader something to do after they have finished reading. The purpose of the piece and these are often interlinked.
- Don’t make spelling or grammar mistakes, it's seen as unprofessional, there are tools online such as Grammarly to aid in this.
To conclude, the English language is extremely complex. Remember to keep your copy simple you don’t need to use every word in the dictionary to prove a point. Keep it simple, if other people don’t understand you then you have a much bigger problem on your hands.